Monday, June 7, 2010

your world? my world?...or is it OUR world?..


So these past few days I've been complaining that a lot of people seem to be living in their "own world". What does this mean you may ask? means that I think that they hold their opinions, views, morals as the only ones that exist and/or the only ones that should rule over all in their scope. To me, this is unfair, and before I go on I will admit to being just like "these people" at times, but i unlike most i am willing to admit it and try to deal with this however, the extent of my "handicap" so to speak, is nowhere near that of those i am talking about.
Lately I'm seeing many people express themselves both over msn and facebook social networks and well, they set their status as their opinion sometimes yet, when someone else comments on and dares to suggest their opinion which either is something totally different to said person's status or just a significant deviation of it, that person is criticized or chastised and/or written-off as holding a valid opinion, both presently and in future conversations. So my question is...well scratch that, read over my topic and you'll get it. Any answers? Can't answer it for sure? Thought so....see the thing is, we all live in each other's "worlds" and we need to learn to live in them, however, we also need to realize that our opinions are not the only ones that exist, even if we know them to be tried and true, and whether others are wrong or not, unless we can genuinely see others' ideals/opinions leading them to some physical harm or emotional distress , we need to let bygones be bygones.
This also brings me to the age old war between modernism and traditionalism. Some of us prefer the former and others, the latter. Yet I ask...why not the best of both worlds in this case? why can't chivalry survive and women and men still have equal rights to get jobs,etc? maybe thats just nature yes. I will admit the world is changing, slowly but surely, but as nature would intend it, there are some things that men are better suited for than women. I'll leave that alone tho, but I will tie this point back to the topic at hand, people who think traditionally often think that modernism is all against it and vice versa. I don't believe so, both can exist in my world, however right is right and wrong is wrong, for e.g. statistics show that infidelity occurs more often now in couples than in previous decades, I'll only point out that to note that as modernization has its negative side-effects as well, traditionalism also has its downsides as can be seen with parents raising their children with "one-tracked minds" leading to them being opinionated and not willing to tolerate others' beliefs.
This is a world of many races, cultures, beliefs and we all need to realize the quicker we accept those different to us and move on, the easier it will be to live amongst each other and those that share similar beliefs and opinions and eventually find each other and in the end, you will realize that you really weren't alone in "your world" but rather there are others like you and others not like you but willing to live and let live, doing this will create a better future even for a small island nation like Trinidad and Tobago where if we develop the mentality of unity and progressiveness, there'll be no need to think with one-track minds and maybe this vision 2020 will come to pass....

No comments:

Post a Comment